Saturday, July 4, 2009

Independence Day



I couldn't have asked for a better 4th of July! Rachel and Doug flew in from Buffalo, NY yesterday so they were here to help prepare for our family BBQ. As I stood on the back patio 4 low flying Air force jets soared in the sky right about the house. It was an amazing reminder of our nations Armed Forces and how their ever watchful eye is upon us, preserving our freedoms.
We decided a light lunch from Jamba Juice would be good since we'd be stuffing ourselves in the evening. I picked up a pinata and candy a few days ago, but didn't think it was full enough so we picked up some small toys at the $ Store, stopped at the grocery for a few extra items and headed for home. By this time we of course needed our afternoon naps. Once we were all up and about again we began preparing for the relatives.

It is so amazing how much my family has grown! Almost all of my cousins have babies of their own and it was so much fun to watch them run around and play. My Dad put my hammock up and I just knew there would be "blood" (figuratively speaking, there was no blood drawn, but there was a lot of dumping of children by other children to get their turn!).

After everyone left we set off the few fireworks that I picked up, the sparklers were super lame! Then we started throwing poppers and of course Rach and I started throwing them at each others feet and she made it clear she wasn't too happy when they got close. Dad said, "I forgot how much you whined! Rachel's back!" and we all had a good laugh over that comment. Then we came inside to watch "The Patriot".

I am so grateful to have been born in this country, to have so many freedoms and rights. The election issue that has been raging in Iran is just another reminder of how lucky I am. People protesting the rigged election began to disappear in the night or were forced to "confess" on their national TV station that their opinions were wrong. Just a few months ago my parents, Hyrum, and I participated in a rally downtown and we didn't think twice as we went on with the rest of our day about whether or not we'd live to see another. God bless America, my home sweet home!

3 comments:

RaCHeL said...

What a fun day we had! The sparklers were definitely lame :( Glad we're home! XOXO

P.S.
I'm not a whiner! ;)

Becki Madsen said...

I wish we were there to celebrate! Not too long and we will be! I too am grateful for this great country we live in!

Sheila Madsen said...

Yes, it was a wonderful 4th of July. The temperatures were moderate and we were surrounded by the people we love and living in this wonderful country - the good old USA! I am so grateful for this country, for our freedoms and pray we will not squander our rights and privileges through laziness and forgetfulness. God Bless the USA!!!