The first of August I awoke to knocking on my bedroom door. It was my Dad asking for help with a project. Sealing the concrete...all of it! So for 5 hrs (half of that spent in a squatting position) we painted in between each crack with paint brushes and then rolled a lovely "cement grey" onto the concrete. Not the funnest project I've ever worked on.




The next day my hamstrings were killing me and so were Dad's and we each had one leg that was more sore than the other. I also felt kind of nauseous. He kept walking around hitting my sorest leg and asking me "what was the matter?" He even had Sophie beat the backs of my legs when I was lying on the floor. My mom said her little face was filled with glee as she pummeled me.
Monday I could barely walk, my left leg was swollen from top to bottom. I couldn't bend it and it was super hot! I thought it was ridiculous that it was that much sorer then the right one. When I got home from work my Dad massaged it (and I stretched it for about an hour) and went on and on about how I was out of shape and really wasn't doing anything when I went to the gym...all the while my mom was in the background agreeing with him (when on Saturday afternoon before all the swelling arose she rubbed my legs and commented on how much muscle I had). Granted everyone can push themselves more at the gym and I do need to loose some weight, but I was felt like crying I was in so much pain; not just ooooh I have "sore muscle" pain. I looked up some stuff on the Internet and thought it sounded like a distressed/over extended muscle and started icing it, which helped some.
Tuesday (I'd felt sick to my stomach since Saturday night) I threw up at work and headed home and continued to throw up throughout the day. Grandma called that night and Mom told her my symptoms and she called Uncle Bob (for those that don't know he's a running coach and an agent and knows a lot about training etc.) He said it sounded like a severe internal allergic reaction and to give me some Benedryl and if it wasn't getting better to go to the doctor. I took some immediately and about an hour later the nausea started to subside. The next morning the nausea was gone and the swelling had gone down significantly so I kept taking the Benedryl. By Friday my leg felt fine.
All I can say is if they want to seal the concrete again they can count me out! I'm not gonna go into anaphylactic shock over a pretty driveway! : ) Annnnnnnd I wasn't as out of shape as they (the parents) thought I was.


7 comments:
Ouchie! That doesn't sound pleasant at all! I'm glad uncle Bob knew what to try. The driveway does look very pretty by the way! ;)
i like the part where sophie hit your leg and dad asked what's the matter? i'm glad youre feeling better,
This does not sound fun at all...sorry. Glad you are feeling better.
You are such a good sport! Hey since you are a concrete expert now, do you want to come and do some concrete work here in Colorado?;) Glad you are doing better!
No fun! I'm so sorry you are so sore.
Sorry for not being more understanding. Glad my brother had good advice and you got beter. Forgive us, okay?
Glad you're ok now. That sounds aweful!
Post a Comment