My parents bought some property in Washington State a few years ago and I've never been up to see it. The Company I work for has gotten itself in some real financial trouble and has decided that their only option is to file Chapter 7 Bankruptcy and as of the 23rd I am no longer employed. I figured now was as good as ever to go up with Mom and Dad to see the property and have a little fun before I begin the dreaded job hunt. We left Sunday morning and made it as far as Kenniwick, WA where we stayed the night.
We passed through Boise, ID and stopped in to say hi to Patrick and Natalie Sessions. They've been living there for the last few months because Pat bought a fuel injection business. They seemed very happy and excited about the business.We got to Semiahmoo, WA late Monday afternoon and checked in to the resort. It is amazing! The hotel is on a "Spit" which is a stretch of sand bar that goes out into the bay, so the ocean is on both sides. The hotel used to be a fish cannery back in the day. After we settled in we drove to the lot, which has a beautiful ocean view and then also drove by a few homes that are for sale. The parents are trying to decide if it would be more cost effective to buy an existing home instead of building. The yards in their community are so well groomed and the flowers are huge and bright and everything is just so green!
On Tuesday morning my parents went out to look at more homes and I decided to stay at the hotel and read the chapters that were assigned for this weeks Criminal Law and Constitutional Issues classes. I got myself a hot chocolate and some mini Oreos and settled into an easy chair in front of a picture window overlooking the ocean. I read for a few hours and then got bored so I called and Dad brought Mom back to the hotel so we could walk the beaches while he sprayed roundup on the gigantic stinging nettle that covers the lot.
My Mom and I walked for about 2 1/2 hours on both sides of the Spit....the tide was low and we saw lots of clam and oyster shells and a few crab shells...the seagulls really eat well here. Also saw a few Bald Eagles soaring with the gulls, ravens, and blue herons. As we walked along a path I looked up at tree and one solitary leaf was blowing in the breeze...it totally looked like a hand waving and we had a good laugh.
After Dad got back and showered we walked over to the Marina for lunch and to look at the sail boats. While we were out we heard some planes in the sky and looked up to see 5 very colorful planes flying in amazing low formations. The girl in the store thought they were from Canada and were practicing for an airshow or something.
After lunch we drove around Blaine and Mom had us stop at one of her fav spots, The Blackberry something or other for some lovely cookies. Blaine is on the U.S./Canadian border...it's crazy...you go to the Peace Arch Park and on the other side is Canada....you could just stand with one foot on U.S. soil and one foot on Canadian soil...well except for the fact that a Border Patrol Officer is sitting in an SUV watching like a hawk.
0 comments:
Post a Comment